History of MBC
Medinah Baptist Church began as the result of a prayer meeting in the home of Paul and Caroline Volle. Seeing the need for a Sunday School in the Medinah area, a few couples began Sunday School services on December 11, 1955, in the Medinah North Grade School. One year later, on December 9, 1956, the first worship service was held.
Don Hamman was called as the first Pastor in December of 1957. He was a recent graduate of Wheaton College. Don’s dynamic, energetic preaching and leadership led Medinah through years of growth.
Because of God’s faithfulness, the ministry grew to a point that a building was needed. On October 22, 1961, the cornerstone of the original sanctuary structure was laid, with the dedication service held on June 17, 1962.
“Church on the grow” was the motto of a vibrant bus ministry that contributed to a large sunday school. More space was soon needed for the rapidly growing ministry, necessitating further expansion. An addition of Sunday School rooms, a gymnasium, and kitchen were dedicated in 1967.
In the early 1970s the sanctuary held the junior church that was broadcast on the radio. The congregation held its services in the auditorium of Lake Park High School (East). A record attendance over 1200 occurred in 1974.
An educational wing was added in 1975 providing much needed space for Medinah Christian School, Sunday School, and Awana Clubs.
Pastor Don Hamman left for the mission field in 1976, after 19 years of service. During Don’s tenure the staff increased dramatically as the church ministry grew. Pastor Jim Higgs followed from 1977-1979. Denny Norris was called as the Senior Pastor from 1980-1983.
In 1984, Walt Peacock became the fourth Senior Pastor. In April of 1988, work to renovate the church sanctuary and foyer began. Renovation was completed and the building was dedicated to the Lord on September 23, 1990.
Continued growth and three services in the sanctuary led to the expansion of a new Worship Center under the theme “A Time to Build”. The new structure, dedicated January 12th 2003, added many improvements including a 1000+ seat auditorium. The vision to build will carry the people of Medinah for decades of ministry. Dr. Walt Peacock served the longest tenure (21 years) until January, 2006.
Over the past decade, we have continued to be dedicated to worshipping and serving our Lord Jesus Christ. We look forward to continued blessings and growth and trust that as we worship together, we will sense the excitement of God’s working in the lives of His people.